More than 1600 fans piled in to the Rams' Earth City practice facilities yesterday, ready to see - and document - the new start under coach Fisher. As a result, the camp reports and fan photographs are starting to trickle in. Here's a morning's worth of geekout reading for you.
Camp Report and Photos from Racetech at RealRamsFans.com
Mostly photos with some light commentary, this thread is long on eye candy and short on breathless proclomations of players about to have "breakthrough years" based on a shorts-and-shells practice with no contact allowed. In other words, a perfect encapsulation of day one. Some highlights:
- Whoever wins the left guard position -- and it's Quinn Ojinnaka in the pole position right now -- will have been well-tested in practice, lining up across from Michael Brockers every day.
- Lance Kendricks and Greg Salas both look noticeably bigger, while Steven Jackson looks noticeably trimmer.
- Cortland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins are both tiny.
This is a more reporterly recap from Shane Gray (@SGmosportsmag), one of Bleacher Report's primary Rams columnists. A lot of notes on individual drills, including a bit of awe-strickenness at Greg Zuerlein's cannon leg. Some highlights:
- Brian Quick is not contact-shy, at least not in a pylon-destroying drill that all receivers and cornerbacks worked on together.
- Josh Gordy's name was ringing out several times, a good sign for a hungry young player who continues to make the most of his opportunities.
- The "catch of the day" belongs to Austin Pettis. Good to see him earning some swag back.
Sando has been to many, many Rams camps in his day, including the ones in the paranoid Martz and Linehan regimes that were closed off to the rest of us. His perspective is always measured and cool-headed, which makes comments like these jump out:
"Quarterback Sam Bradford and running back Steven Jackson stood out right away. Bradford appears so much healthier than he was last season. He threw with accuracy and authority. Jackson's size always impresses, but his quickness was also apparent Sunday (Jackson says he's at 5.1 percent body fat, by the way)."
Sando also contributed some general impressions of the change in feel from Camp Spags to Camp Fisher.
Your Twitter recommendation of the day: @miketphotog
Some pretty outstanding sideline photos getting posted to Twitter, like this one: